Wednesday, August 13, 2014

THESE STORIES ARE FOR YOU, KIDS

The purpose of "Seems Like Yesterday" is to write stories of my two families, parents and sister one, and my husband and children, two, as I experienced them. I began writing as soon as I retired from teaching in 1992.  As in most families, the kids, whether small or grown, don't want to hear "Momma's stories again." I wasn't much of a storyteller. I loved to read anything from the public library. I loved to read to Jim Scott and Janie as they lay in bed nights. It was then we were introduced to the stories by Dr. Seuss, Maurice Sendak,  A.A. Milne, Beatrix Potter, Lewis Carroll,and other great children's authors.

I live in Mississippi, land of storytellers.  I can't make up stories as well as many do, but I've tried to record experiences in the way I remember their happening, adding a bit of fluff here and here. I've been fortunate to have some of these published. The Big Novel sits in a white box in the study. It's the story of life in Jackson, Mississippi when I was in high school. There are no plans for publication, but the manuscript rests until one of you decide to plow through the 50,000 words.

Jim, Scott, and Janie, these stories are for you, my precious adult children. You first heard them in my loud, gravely voice. I hope this collection will encourage you to write your own stories for yourselves and for Henry.

Henry, you will have a treasure trove of stories to read when you are old enough to be curious about your paternal grandparents. These stories are for you with love from your Vivi.


No comments:

Post a Comment